To help engage and create our next generation of park visitors, supporters and advocates, Federal Land Management agencies, launched the Every Kid in a Park initiative. The immediate goal is to provide an opportunity for each and every 4th grade student across the country to experience their federal public lands and waters in person throughout the school year
Open to ALL 4th graders and their families!
Step 1: Choose your fish! The O-fish-al state fish of Washington is Steelhead!!!
- you can also select from this list any other state fish you would like to learn more about
Step 2: Art - Using the 9x12 paper HORIZONTALLY (look at the Rules and Guidelines - above), draw/paint/etc. your fish in its natural habitat. Examples here, but this is the time to express yourself and don't be limited by what you think will win, they want to see what you have learned and love!
- **DO NOT SIGN YOUR ARTWORK OR WRITE ON IT AT ALL! this is a rule they are VERY strict about
- Please don't use photos, computer programs, or anything that isn't made by your own hands and creativity! Avoid pastels or loose mediums, unless properly sprayed with fixative
Step 3: Writing - This part can be especially creative! Judges want you to use this to really show off your fishy knowledge of the species, its habitat, behavior, & conservation needs. Examples here - very cool ideas!
- *****Add your name, state, and grade on the BACK of the page******* do NOT attach this to your artwork
- longer is NOT better, you only have 1 side of a regular sheet of paper to hand write OR type on
- can be a poem, essay, anything... even a Twitter account! (see in the examples) EXPRESS YOURSELF! There is NO right or wrong!
Step 4: Fill out the entry form with your guardian or teacher and make sure it's VERY clear and easy to read, we don't want your work to go missing or even worse have them not be able to tell you that you won!!!
- attach your entry form to the BACK of your artwork with a glue stick, if you don't have one just make sure everything is in your envelope and Jen will do it for you!
HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK!